Friday, January 20, 2012

The Good Stuff

Ahhhhh today was a good day. I had a little shot of my choice drugs: endorphins and adrenaline.

Spinning was a total bust last night. NOT going to work. Ugh. So I hit the elliptical for a bit and did some strength training. However today was the breakthrough. I went for a run in the pool. I wore the bouancy belt. At first I thought I was supposed to "run" in place, but after awhile I figured out it works better to stay in motion. So for forty minutes, I did laps. Slow and steady. I was sweating. When I got out of the pool, my legs were shaking. Victory. Sweet endorphins oh how I have missed you! Muah!!! A quick weight training session at the gym and I was set for the day.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Colorado we have been experiencing a faux Spring. It was fifty degrees today. I haven't been on my horse since November, so I decided to go for a ride. And this is where the adrenaline comes in. I was a wee bit nervous getting on a four year old after two and a half months of being turned out. We got along just fine, and it was fabulous.

"I've often said there is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse." Will Rogers

Zoe had a shot of endorphins too
I am sooo pumped right now!!! Of course I wish I was meeting my new running group for a run tomorrow, however I am glad I have found my alternative. Everything happens for a reason. Water running has so many uses-- pregnancy, injuries, bad weather, alternative training, etc. Now I know. :)

Wherever you are in your journey, I hope you remember not to get so zeroed in on things that you can't see the big picture. That's where I was with running. And... today I found so much more. Perspective.  Praise the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. I hop it heals quickly! Better for it to happen now than right before the race. (although there's never a good time to get injured) That's what happened to DH. He did his last 20 miler and got injured. So he's resting and we will see what either of us can do on Sunday. I've done pool running and it's a good workout, just so darn boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for perspective, and i'm so happy u're feeling much better mentally! isn't it kinda crazy how just feeling like u're liking ur workouts can change ur outlook on life and other important things...uhh, thank u endorphins. ;)

    i'm glad u've got the knack of aqua-jogging, it takes a little getting used to but i totally have to move up and down the lanes too. i think that's the best way anyway (or i'll say it is...hehe) to bet the boredom i do circles and try to see how many i can do...lol. just watch out no kids hit u with a noodle. ;)

    ReplyDelete