Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Sappy RIMD

“I realize that I have been blessed with health and strength to overcome not only the miles on the road, but also to overcome the hard times in life when you want to throw in the towel. When I cross the line now, it is a celebration of the fact that I didn't quit.
Tasya Lacy, U.S. Navy Human Resources Officer
This quote is so real for me.  I have this relationship with running that isn’t so much about training as it is about dealing with life.  Let’s face it, life freaking sucks sometimes.  You fight with your spouse. You  experience loss. Your job is stressful. You lose a job. The list goes on.  How do you cope with these things?
For me, it is running. Don’t get me wrong. Running does not solve these problems, but it sure as hell takes the edge off. I talk about this because I wish I could give some people what I have in running.  I want to share this with people I love and care about.  I want to share it with the guy on the side of the road. Running is my drug.
I took up running after college. Well…I “ran” in college, but it was only three miles at a time give or take. It was only to combat the “freshman fifteen.”  It worked.  Anyway…after college, I felt like I had accomplished several goals I set out to, and I was kind of in that place of, “now what?” I am a goal setter. I enjoy having something to work towards.  My friend Daniela posted on Facebook that she had ran a half marathon. To me, this sounded absurd ..who runs 13.1 miles for fun?! However, in the spring of 2008 I printed off a training schedule and registered for my first half in Gateway, CO. 
Scared to death, I did not miss one.single.training.run. To date, that is still my slowest half (including the one I had to walk part of due to knee issues). And yet I trained so hard. However, that race was a breakthrough for me and I will never forget it. Since then, I was hooked.
Running has pulled me out of depression. Running has pushed me through heartache.  Running has allowed me to escape from little trials and sadness. Running has made great days even better. Running gives me permission to eat EVERYTHING (which is the main reason I do it… hahaha).  Best of all, running has taught me I can do things I never thought possible. I have ran 13.1 miles several times “for fun.” I have climbed a mountain pass (Imogene) on a 17.1 mile run that has forever changed me. I plan beating my marathon plague and putting the first one in the books in May. Running helps me reach down deep and search for the pure grit inside my heart.
Get out there. I promise it is not easy. I also promise it is worth it.    

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up! Running is such great therapy and yes, I agree it is nice to have permission to eat everything in sight after a hard run! :)

    ReplyDelete