Monday, October 17, 2011

Running Euphoria

I had a really good idea for a blog today…but I am saving it…so stay tuned. J
I apologize for the leave of absence. I was off work, and we got a new ISP (Internet Service Provider) at home so I was “unplugged” for part of the weekend. And as much as I am enjoying this new blog, I refuse to blog from my iPhone…. Speaking of the new ISP (insert plug)….Skybeam is offering an awesome deal right now. $19.99 plus $6 equipment rental.  And free installation. I was more than happy to kiss Bresnan/Optimum adios.  The $57/month I was paying those rat bastards was getting on my nerves. 
Actual Rat Bastard

Since we last spoke, I managed to get in three runs.  I ran one of my favorite routes on Thursday- a six mile loop that I can take from my house. It starts out on pavement, but three miles are spent on a dirt road out in the adobes. I love it out there, and try to run it as much as possible since it’s not always navigable in the winter.   During this run, I was listening to a podcast from my old church in Grand Junction, Fellowship Church.  Some sort of combination of God, peaceful running, heart pumping, and mountain views had me on a high by the time I got home. It is runs like that one that make me vow to never give up the sport. That right there was self-discovery…. And for me, it was in its finest form.

 I read a quote once that said we as runners should relish in the bad runs, because without them…how would we ever recognize the good ones? So true! And since I have about three bad runs per week…I can spot those good ones with ease.
This morning’s run was also pretty dang good. It rained last night so the air was fresh. The traffic was non-existent as I ran along the golf course. Really nice. I got home and did a little strength training (50 squats, 50 calf raises, 50 sit-ups, ten push-ups), then enjoyed my breakfast which I prepared last night.  I’m sharing the recipe because I LOVE it soo much!!  I make it on Sundays and then divide it up into different containers for each day’s breakfast.

Steel-Cut Oats w/Apples
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats (these are expensive- buying them in the bulk section helps)
 1 Cup Almond Milk (or any type)
1 Cup Water
2 Apples (my favorite are Granny Smith or Honeycrisp)
¼ Cup Almonds
1 T Sugar Free Syrup (optional)
Cinnamon
In medium saucepan, combine oats, milk, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat. Cover and stir occasionally (it will boil over—watch it like a HAWK!!).  Meanwhile, slice the apples into small bite-sized pieces.  Add apples to another saucepan with enough water to cover the bottom. Add syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Cook oats until most (but not all) the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit. Cook apples on medium heat until they are slightly softer (5 mins or so). Combine oats, apples, and almonds. Viola! Should make four servings that you can pack up and take with you. J
What is your favorite "on the go" Breakfast?
What is your most recent positive work out experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment